Thursday, March 25, 2010


It's been a year!

So, it's been a year! The calendar has come full circle and since things are sprouting outside, we know it's that time of year again - the annual spring cleanse. I've been subsisting on strictly vegan foods for close to 40 days now, and have felt good enough to attempt a longer, 5-day no solid food cleanse and liver flush that will finally be resolved tomorrow with some fresh juices and a large fresh salad. The year behind me has been intense, even arduous, the general feeling of the universe spinning a little out of control has been too familiar to many of us lately; therefore, it felt like to cleanse these cobwebs out one would have to apply oneself a little more consistently, and with a bit more direct intent. It was as if I chose to send myself a message to stay true. As always, this type of consistency bears fruit, and I can safely say that the feeling of inner puritication has been worth every minute of forgoing certain, or all, foods.

The energetics of foods have long been a focus of Chinese Medicine, and while it would probably only rarely agree with forgoing solid foods althogether, it would concur readily that certain foods drag you down, speed you up, balance, noursish or, conversely, exacerbate health conditions, based on one's state of health and constitution. There is nothing that feels more healthful to me than hitting the annual reset button and getting to the work of balancing from scratch. I've come to love and anticipate it as much as any other annual routine I favor. This post is not about how to do a cleanse (you can read my post of exactly a year ago, March 25, 2009 to find out a bit more, and generally, cleansing is better done with some forethought, planning, and when appropriate, medical supervision). These are just some thoughts on coming around to another anniversary - fortunately, a good one, of a beautiful health practice and not least, of writing this blog. As I am getting ready to conclude my cleanse, I hope for another year of health for all of us!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Congratulations on a year of blogging, and another productive fast! Here's to many more (of both).

Parle-leur de batailles, de rois et d'éléphants by Mathias Énard My rating: 5 of 5 stars This is an amazing book, and I was fortuna...